Excalibur owner

General chat
cobrascim

Excalibur owner

Post by cobrascim » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi,
I have added to my collection of 1979 Scimitar GTE and SRV8 Cobra replica.
I have bought an Excalibur Crusader up here in sunny Scotland and found your website through the photo of Adrian's car.
I dont think there are many of these on the road and thought I would drop a message in via this general chat forum to see if Adrian was about.
No engine in mine and I'm messing around with the cortina front suspension crossmember - it is being a bit of a pain.
Probably looking to fit mazda mx5 1.8 engine and box mainly because I got almost all mx5 parts with the car. Previous owner was thinking to convert the whole car to mx5 underpinnings but I've found the mx5 front crossmember would require major alteration to the chassis at the front.
Anyway - call out to Adrian if he is around.
Thanks.
John.
Last edited by cobrascim on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian

Re: Excalibur owner

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi John,
I've emailed Adrian to let him know about your post - hopefully he'll be along before too long.

cobrascim

Post by cobrascim » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks Ian. Much appreciated.

cobrascim

Post by cobrascim » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:48 am

Thought I would post up a few more details about myself and cars.
First build was a Autotune Gemini in the early '90s. Been to Stoneleigh not quite every year since then either with the Scottish Kit Car club or Cobra Replica club.
Owned my Scimitar since 1990 and in rebuild mode with that at present(again).
Around '97 bought a Cheetah cobra with jag rear /cortina front clip and Rover 3.5 V8 fitted. Good lower end kit that I enjoyed bringing back to life. Built my Southern Roadcraft Cobra finally through SVA in 2007 - bit of a challenge considering SR disappeared off the scene in mid '90s. Spent about 5 years collecting parts etc before getting around to start putting it together in 2004 as and when funds allowed.

I always liked the shape of the Excalibur Crusader and when I saw this one come up for sale summer last year I thought why not. No engine or box been off road since 2012(2.1 pinto blow up) and thought it needed rescuing.There are many pictures of the car at Stoneleigh if you do an image search. Red with plate Q217 NPP. Still has the wheels! It came with a whole load of mazda mx5 gear that I considered fitting but the chassis alts required to fit front / rear axles would be quite extensive. I will however use the engine and box / loom and see how it goes from there as I like to tinker with things. Turbo maybe in future?
I have discovered that the mounting points for the cortina front crossmember on this car sit below the main chassis leg at top and the front one is a bracket welded below the hole in chassis. I'm hoping Adrain can help me with info as I probably want to put it back to where it should be if this is correct. The subframe may have been lowered in the past to allow the 17 inch wheels to fit better in wheel arch as original cortina wheels were 13inch. Original 13 inch wheels with 185/70 tyres is 27mm different diameter to the 205/45 fitted in the 17s.
Dont know how well this handled but probably looked goodin a straight line. Might go back down to 14s or such-we'll see.
Regards.
John.

Agedage

Post by Agedage » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi John
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, went away to the States for a month in January. What do you want to know?
Bear in mind that I didn't build it, my brother was the mechanic!

Regards
Adrian

cobrascim

Post by cobrascim » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Adrian,
Hope you had a great time.

First thing I'm tackling is where the front cortina cross member bolts to. Are the 4 bolting positions through the main chassis legs on rubber or poly mounts? Or on brackets welded to the chassis underneath? Any photos of this area would be great.

Although a while away is if you know anywhere to take the car once back on the road to make the headlamp covers as my car doesn't have them and I think they are an excellent addition.

Apart from that how do you find the car to drive?

Regards.
John.